Pages

September 26, 2011

Comfort Food - Raw Brownies

Sometimes life, well, it's just simply annoying.  This afternoon, I developed a general dislike for most of the human race.  When I feel this way I want to eat, I want to drink, I want to crawl into bed and watch Almost Famous.

So in order to solve my eating problem, I decided to go to the grocery store and get the ingredients to make - wait for it - a raw brownie recipe.

 Yes, you read that correctly.  It is a raw brownie.  I discovered the recipe on the My New Roots website.  Sarah Britton has a whole lot of amazing recipes and nutritional information on her blog.

The original recipe calls for raw cacao.  I did not use this, I used plain old cocoa powder.  I did some research on the difference between cocoa and cacao and the opinions are incredibly contradictoray.  Sarah even mentions in her comments that she is uncertain of the nutritional differences.  If you have any ideas, I would love to hear.

I've adapted the recipe to the ingredients I had on hand.


Raw Brownie

1 cup walnuts
1 cup hazelnuts
1 cup cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups fresh dates
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

The original recipe calls for chopped almonds, which you see on the left, I didn't use them
 Chop the walnuts and hazelnuts in the food processor and blend on high until they are finely ground.  



Add the cocoa powder and salt and pulse until mixed together.  



Turn the food processor on low and the dates one at a time through the feed tube while the processor is running.  



The mixture should stick together when pressed in your fingers.  Grease a pan with coconut oil.  Pour the mixture into the pan and press until the mixture is firm.  Allow the brownies to cool in the refrigerator for a few hours.



After chilling, cut and enjoy!  Even LW likes these brownies!





No comments: