Pages

January 8, 2012

Sunday Morning Contemplations

I spent the morning reading Suzy's blog and her recap of conferences led by R. Sharath Jois in Mysore, India.  Sharath is Sri Pattabhi Jois' grandson and is the director at the K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute.

Sharath brings up two teachings from the Bhagavad Gita, which I have not yet read, but that stuck with me this morning and I'd like to share.

"The Bhagavad Gita says that yoga is only possible if you were connected in your previous life. Something which has attracted you has brought you here. Somehow, somewhere you are connected to this."

and 

"The Bhagavad Gita says that day by day, if you have shraddha (faith) in your practice then automatically knowledge will come to you. Then it is possible to control your senses. If you have faith then only can you go to higher levels in practice."

2 comments:

La said...

i'm really enjoying your journey with ashtanga, J. so excited for you! been reading a lot on it and it's just so interesting to me (and thanks to the link to Suzy's blog).

i had to back off my almost daily Bikram practice as i was running my body to the ground. so on my days off i get yoga withdrawals so i read up on other yogas and do a bit of home practice. loving it, but use admit that my discipline comes fr Biks.

anyways, sorry for the long yappy comment! thanks again and i shall be here waiting to read your next posts :)

Juliana said...

Thanks so much La! That means a lot! I def think a lot of my discipline comes from my Bikram practice. My teacher at Ashtanga even commented on that a while ago. He told me he could see how Bikram yoga has done me well.