Pages

May 17, 2010

Just a Little Recap

I found this post today that I never published.  It is from March but it brought that morning back to me and I thought I'd share.

I woke up to the wind blowing and howling outside my bedroom at 5:30 this morning.  I rolled my weary body out of bed, cursing my commitment to my yoga.  I stepped outside to blown over garbage cans and cherry blossoms being danced vicously around the dark silent streets.

The teacher was playing the Legends of the Fall soundtrack when I walked into the studio.  I called it right away.  He was pleasantly surprised and we had a good joke about which helped me snap out of the gloominess and sleepiness hanging over my head.

I love my fellow 6 am-ers!  Regardless as to how tired I am feeling the presence of the regulars always cheers me up.  A little whining, some quick joking and some encouragement go a long way when you have voluntarily brought yourself to the "torture room" before the rest of the city has woken up.

My muscles were SORE today.  Locking my knees and tightening my hips in the first breathing exercise were tiring.  Standing head to knee was not going to happen, I could barely lift my thigh muscle to pull up knee cap to lock my knee.  Standing bow was a flailing mess.  Triangle was surprisingly strong.  But there was no way I was getting my hips off my heel in toe stand.

Savasana was heaven.  I felt like I was back in my bed, warm and cozy and dreamy.  The floor series felt wonderful.  I've started coming up a lot higher in Cobra pose.  My lower back is still working hard.  My legs and hips are solid and my feet are on the floor, but I noticed, this morning, that I have a lot of weight in my palms.  Next class I'm going to come down a little bit and try to reduce the amount of weight in my palms.

We held the second set of Camel pose for a minute!  It was heaven, bending and stretching and pushing for that long.  I felt like I was sinking into the floor after the pose.  My entire body was so heavy that the ground was opening up and slowly closing around me.

The 90 minutes went by quickly.  I left the studio, the wind had calmed down but the sky had opened and was dumping large warm raindrops.  I could have stood outside and had my shower.  Unfortunately, Victoria isn't quite warm enough yet.

2 comments:

bikramyogachick said...

I love this post. Especially because I am a night yoga person, so I always wonder how the early birds do it. I totally know what you are talking about with the floor after camel. It almost feels like you are laying in a cradle instead of a flat floor. Strange sensation!!

Juliana said...

Most definitely like a cradle! That's a great way of putting it :)