Pages

March 4, 2011

A Gentle Reminder

One of the things I love the most about my practice, is that I am able to forget about the rest of the world. For 90 minutes all that exists is me, my mat, the instructor and my fellow yogis.

This morning I could not tune it out. I was thinking about getting the oil changed in my car, cooking dinner, how I was going to spend the weekend, anything and everything. These thoughts do drift in and out when I am in Savasana but never in the standing series. Seriously, to be in Standing Bow and thinking about when I'll get around to getting the oil changed is ridiculous! I had to laugh at myself.

I left class feeling a little unsatisfied with practice this morning. But it was a nice gentle reminder that no class is ever the same - ever - no matter how far you feel you've come. This yoga is a journey, there is no prize at the end because there is no end.



2 comments:

La said...

oh Lady J how on point you are! yesterday, my mind was wandering so much that i couldn't remember the class and also didn't feel as 'satisfied'.

so i turned back around and stayed for the 2nd class. it was painful, but made me feel much better afterwards.

thank you for the gentle reminder!

Elisa said...

Wow, lucky y'all! My mind wanders a lot, as it does often outside of class. But because I'm not "supposed" to be in charge of a million things IN class, I at least get the chance to say, "OK, stop, focus on what you're doing." I'll just keep on working on it..