Pages

June 14, 2011

Changing Needs

I've been very aware lately how our needs and wants change as our moments in time change.

I went to see my chiropractor this morning about my shoulder. I hadn't been to see him for years, the receptionist literally had to go to their storage to dig out my file. My family, Mum, Dad and brothers, have been going to see M since he started his practice 21 years ago. I'm guessing we originally started going because Dad had a bad back. M was a great for me for a while but as I entered my 20s I found his, no nonsense, let's get this done quick, method didn't work for my poor back. I needed massage and gentle hands.

I chose to go back to him today because he has an amazing reputation and works with many athletes and I wanted this done quickly and efficiently. My shoulder feels so much better already. He tested the strength of both my arms and it was very obvious where my weaknesses were on my left arm. He did some active release on my shoulder and adjusted my second rib.

I have decided that I am also taking this week off from yoga. I hurt my shoulder again in yoga on Saturday. I was being very careful with my arms in class and then we got to Half Tortoise pose and I straightened my arms just a little too much. I had to bite my lip in order not to cry out in pain. It hurt so much!

So, for the first time since my Bikram journey began, I have decided that it is in my best interest to not practice yoga for a few days. Normally yoga helps me feel better but it became obvious to me that my yoga practice cannot fix everything. I truly do need a week off. A week where I work out my lower body and core. Squats and lunges here I come!

The Universe really does have a wonderful way of telling you when it's time to rest.

1 comment:

Elisa said...

Hey girl, take care of yourself. Yoga will be there when you're ready to go back!