Pages

September 29, 2011

Product Review - Tofu Noodles

I was at my local grocery store the other day and discovered these Tofu Shirataki fettuccine noodles.  They were on sale for 2 dollars a pack so I thought I'd give them a try.

The package instructs you to first rinse them very well and then boil for 2 minutes and rinse thoroughly to "reduce the authentic aroma".  Yes, they smell.  They kind of smell like fish.  Not fish gone bad, just fish before you cook it. 

Ingredients: water, tofu, yam and calcium hydroxide

They actually look and feel like real fettuccine.

I followed the directions.  Rinsed, heated and rinsed again and then tasted them before I topped them with the pasta sauce.  They were chewy, very al dente, and had no residual smell.


My tofu noodles on the left and LW's real pasta on the right.


I topped my noodles with strips of zucchini and my homemade tomato and beef sauce.  They were tasty and a nice change to just eating my pasta sauce with zucchini strips.


Would I buy them again?  Maybe.  At 2 dollars for one serving they are not bad but I could just as easily eat my zucchini noodles and be thoroughly content.

No comments: