Pages

September 23, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Pudding


I love pumpkin pie.  It is one of my favourite pies, which I find interesting because I never ate much pumpkin pie growing up, it was always Dutch apple pie (which is amazing).  In the last little while I developed my own version of pumpkin pie.  A "pie" that is a little healthier, minus the crust, because the best part is the filling

       Pumpkin Pie Pudding
  • 3/4 cup maple syrup or honey
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 (14 ounce) can Pure Pumpkin or 1 3/4 cup of pureed fresh pumpkin
  • 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
  • coconut oil to grease casserole dish
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease baking dish with coconut oil.
  2. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin, maple syrup and spices. Gradually stir in almond milk. Pour into baking dish.
  3. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
 I entered all the ingredients into LiveStrong.  Using my 8.5 by 8.5 casserole dish and estimating 9 servings, the website calculated the recipe to be 111 calories per serving.  Not bad for a little treat (or two) during the day.


One of my favourite things to do with this recipe, is in the Autumn I go down to my local market and buy the sugar pumpkins.  I then roast them in the oven and purée them in the food processor.







I forgot to get a photo post-bake but I swear to you it is as delicious as a pumpkin pie!

2 comments:

Megan said...

do you use your roasted sugar pumpkins for the fresh pumpkin puree in this recipe? or are those just to eat like that?

Juliana said...

Sorry, I wasn't clear there. I use the sugar pumpkin purée in place of the canned pumpkin.