Pages

December 29, 2011

Opening in Padmasana

Practice this morning felt so much better than yesterday but my ankles and knees in Padmasana were still giving me a lot of feedback.  I could not get into Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana at all, nor could I grab my big toe on the right in Ardha Baddha Padma Paschismottanasana.  Mari B was OK and Mari D I just tried to focus on breathing through the discomfort and getting a little twist in my spine.  In the finishing sequence, Pindasana was definitely not happening and neither was Matsyasana.  As I got to Baddha Padmasana, where I normally sit cross legged, I remembered this video I watched last week.  

In it, David Keil gives an awesome description of how to open your hips in Padmasana.  I followed his instructions before doing Baddha Padmasana, Yoga Mudra, Padmasana and Utplutih and wouldn't you believe my lotus felt so much better.  I was able to hold Yoga Mudra for full ten breaths, while grabbing my elbows - I am not ready to hold my toes.  

Check it out.  Give it a try.  I recommend trying the sequence when you are warm.  It was great to do at the end of my practice. Here is the original article on the Yoganatomy website.

No comments: