Pages

December 15, 2011

Wisdom From a Novel About Knitting

I'm reading the book The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.  Here's a little excerpt from the beginning of one of the chapters.

Casting On

"The only way to get going is to just grasp that yarn between your fingers and twist.  Just start.  It's the same with life.  Of course, every beginning won't be the same: There are dozens of ways to cast on and they vary based on skill or design or even just relying on the tried and true.  My point?  Sometimes what works for one piece isn't the right way next time.  You have to experiment to see what works.  But there's a similarity no matter the method: you either try or you don't.  So form a slipknot; make a series of twisted loops on one needle and then use its partner to reach through and make a stitch.  Casting on is as much leap of faith as technique."

I guess I'm sharing this with you because as much as we can relate yoga to life, so can we relate other hobbies or interests that we have.  How I dealt with learning how to knit again after 20 years can be similar to how I may tackle life.  How I practice yoga can be similar to how I deal with a job interview.  So just get started.  Get the ball rolling.  It doesn't matter how you start.  Just that you do.

Via

No comments: