Pages

March 1, 2012

Yoga Sutra 1:33

Hello lovelies, it's been a while since I've even thought about venturing into this part of the web.  Since beginning my yoga training in January, I have learned so much or I guess more precisely I have been given so much knowledge and I am slowly letting it sink in.  I have been practicing 6 - 7 days a week and am in training Friday evenings, all day Saturday and all day Sunday.

I have also been struggling with letting go of this so called control we have over lives.  Yes, I can make choices as to what I do but if I learn to quiet my mind and listen to my heart these decisions seem to be a lot easier to make.  The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali have opened my eyes, my mind to many different thoughts.

Yoga sutra 1:33 is one that I think we should all follow, that would make our own lives a lot easier.

Maitrii karunaa muditopeksaanaam sukha 
duhka punyaapunyaa visayaanam 
bhaavanaatash citta prasadanam.

By cultivating attitudes of friendliness toward the happy,
compassion for the unhappy, delight in the virtuous,
and disregard toward the wicked, the mind-stuff
retains its undisturbed calmness.

My interpretation of this is to celebrate with those who are happy - be happy for them.  Show compassion to those who are having a hard time or are unhappy.  Appreciate the virtuous that you may encounter - try to learn from them.  And the last one and most important for me to remember in my own life - ignore those who do no good, who are cruel or wicked.  There is no sense in getting angry or trying to share some of your own thoughts with them, most likely they will not listen.  It is a waste of your own precious energy, it disturbs your mind and only causes you stress and unhappiness. 

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have joined Yoga Teacher Training India It is a good platform to me start the yogic journey where i'll learn the basic. get the benefits of yoga, it’s a way to achieve physical and mental fitness.

Unknown said...

nice blog
Yoga Teacher Training Course Rishikesh