Pages

May 20, 2010

One Year!

Today I celebrate one full year of Bikram yoga practice!  I started on May the 20th, 2009, shortly after returning from my whirlwind trip to Europe.  I went to the 7:45 pm class with 2 friends.  I was so nervous.  I had practiced yoga before but the heat - the heat scared the crap out of me.

I was prepared.  I knew not to eat at least 3 hours before class.  I had kept myself hydrated all day.  I had my mat, my two towels and my brand new vacuum sealed, double walled stainless steel water bottle filled with ice and water.  I was ready to take on this yoga.

I laid my mat down in the back right hand corner.  I still practice on the right side of the room, except I now stick closer to the front. I don't remember much of the standing series.  I think I got through it OK.  Some of the poses were familiar to me.  And I knew how to focus on my breath and my alignment from my Iyengar yoga practice.

It was when we hit the floor series that I started panicking.  The poses felt great.  But I HATED lying down in Savasana and then getting up again.  And again.  And again.  Just as I was starting to get comfortable, the instructor would say, "Heel, toes together.  Feet flexed.  Arms over your head."  Gah!  I was exhausted.  I remember thinking to myself that all of these people in the room with me were crazy, bonkers, out of their minds.  How in the hell could they stand this horrible heat, this awful sweat?  How could they lay STILL through all of this?

I managed to get through the entire class.  I didn't leave the room.  I did attempt every pose but it was a hellish experience.  When I walked out of class one my friends pointed out to me that I was pale.  Now if you know me you know that I am blond, blue-eyed, fair skinned with the uncanny ability to go bright red with any form of heat or exercise - that told me I had worked bloody hard.

I was back the next day.  And the next.  And the next.  I was hooked.  I constantly asked questions.  Any spare moment I had I was reading up on the yoga practice.  Now - here I am one year into my life long practice - 237 classes under my belt and a pure, turbulent and consistent love for my yoga that I will never ever give up.

6 comments:

YoginiBear said...

Congratulations, J! I'm always happy to see you at 6:00AM, and looking forward to your blog posts! :)

bikramyogachick said...

Congrats!!!!!!!

Elisa said...

I echo the others' sentiments. I'm glad you're doing yoga and blogging! Yay! Congrats.

Tarts and Tattoos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tarts and Tattoos said...

Man alive I remember that 90 minutes of hell... I do miss it and am heading back to practice come the end of my work term. Clearly not at that studio and I will only miss a few people :) xoxo

Yoga Mum said...

Congratulations my love. What better addiction could there be?
I think I'm hooked too.