Pages

May 21, 2010

Yoga Has Changed My Life

Bikram yoga has changed my life in so many ways.  Some of them I cannot explain and some of them I can.

  • I speak my mind more often.  If something is bothering, I try to confront the problem instead of ignoring it or bottling it up.  Granted, it doesn't always work but I'm much better at this. 
  • I have been able to quit smoking.  I don’t ever really want one anymore. It’s nearly been 3 months!  I do get the occasional craving for the ritual of a cigarette.  For the inhale and the exhale.  For the igniting of the flame.  But I find this in class every day.
  • I am more aware of my posture when I sit at my desk.  I try to sit up straight.  If I catch myself slouching I sit up - shoulders back - feet on the floor - head and neck aligned.
  • My weak ankle that used to always roll is strong again.  My ankle used to roll at the most random times.  I would fall over.  I would be scared to hike.  I now notice a strength in it that I have not had since I was 15.
  • I have muscles in my back that I never knew existed.  I can flex muscles in my back that, I swear, were never there before.
  • I have toned my abdominal area.  It is not perfect.  I still have wiggly bits but I am pleased with the results.
  • My hair has gotten thicker.  Seriously.  I have very fine, blonde hair.  It is not nearly as fine as it used to be.  I would like it if some curls would start to form.
  • I have more energy.  I only need 7 hours of sleep a night instead of my what used to be usual 9 hours.  My friends call me grandma.  Not because I crochet or sew but because I used to have to be in bed my 9:00 pm in order to get up for my 6:00 am class.  Now I can stay up as late as 11:00pm and be ok!
  • I have more confidence about my physical appearance.  I think I am pretty good looking lady.  I don't mind my curves.  I like my cleavage.  I love my legs and newly found cheek bones.
  • I feel as though I am truly capable of anything.  Anything at all.  If I put my mind to something and I want it bad enough I can accomplish anything.

2 comments:

Elisa said...

I love this post! I love the confidence that comes with this practice--YES to speaking your mind! That's awesome. Also, yes to being OK with the body. It's just a body, after all; why judge so harshly?

hannahjustbreathe said...

This is such a wonderfully inspiring post! Bravo!