Pages

February 15, 2011

A Morning At Home

I had a lovely sleep last night with moisture filled eyes so I skipped the studio practice, cranked the heat, turned on Patrick Watson and started Pranayama.

There is something so satisfying about practicing at home - the music - the choices - the silence - all add different challenges to the practice while keeping me very relaxed.  I am able to get a good sweat going through my standing poses and my spine warm enough to get into some deep back bends.

I do miss the cleansed feeling of walking out of class - having sweat out a bucket of moisture and toxins.  And I miss the challenge of Standing Head to Knee and Standing Bow - the teacher's voice telling you that you MUST! - I just can't seem to hold those poses for a minute in my living room.

I used to carry guilt when I would not go to yoga class.  I would feel as though I was cheating myself and letting down my fellow yogis and my teachers who expect to see me every morning.  LW said something very insightful to me on Sunday, that I should do what I need for now and that when I'm ready, go back to the studio and see how feel and where I am in my practice.  I think I'm going to listen to him, for once :-)  

6 comments:

Elisa said...

Oh jeez, J! Don't feel guilty about not going to class. Maybe supplementing home practice with class to save your eyes will be the way to go. Don't push it, though!

Juliana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juliana said...

LOL! E, you are awesome! I love how you always tell me not to be so hard on myself. My mum even referenced you (she reads my blog) one day when I was talking about yoga. She said she would email you so you could tell to stop worrying or being too critical.

Some Guy said...

Re: Listening.

Well, it's about time ...

;-)

La said...

Oh you're another home practitioner like Catherine! Yes, like the Yolk E's comment, there's no need to be hard on urself. Heck I seriously don't know how u guys have that kind of focus to Bikram it our at home. My practice would eventually include only one posture: savasana.

So truly and honestly, you should be so proud of urself for being able to do it at home :)

bikramyogachick said...

Guilt is very counter productive for us, right? I've never practiced at home before. I'd like to try it sometime. I'm sure it's very different.
Glad to hear your eyes are feeling better....