Pages

August 31, 2011

"You is Kind. You is Smart. You is Important."

I saw the movie the Help last week.  I haven't read the book yet, sometimes I enjoy seeing the movie before I read the novel, that way I am rarely dissapointed.  I think the books are always better than the films that they are turned into.  Anyways, one of the main characters in the story is Abeleen Clark, a maid and nanny who feels it is her duty to tell the children she cares for, "You is kind.  You is smart.  You is important."  She grasps them tightly in her arms, looks them in the eyes and has them recite those magical words with her.

How often do we tell ourselves this?  How often do we give ourselves credit for what we are?  I personally find it easier to tell myself I haven't done something right than to acknowledge that I've done a good job.

Go on, right now, grab a pen and a piece of paper and I dare you to write down 10 things that you like about yourself.

10 things I like about me!

1.  My blonde hair.
2.  My dedication to those that I care for.
3.  My strong work ethic.
4.  My ability to empathize with people.
5.  My ability to adapt to many different situations.
6.  My legs.
7.  My strength.
8.  My Standing Bow.
9.  My ability to crochet an afghan.
10.My passion for all things that interest me.

No comments: